Friday, November 9, 2012

Writing Device


By Maggie
 
Of all the key boards, on all the devices, in all the world, will I be able to type on this one?
Yesterday, I got an early Christmas gift to myself in the mail: a Kindle Fire HD. I convinced myself the grandchildren would love the adorable game apps I can get on it and be endlessly entertained at my house or in my car when all else fails. Of course, I already wanted to own it, for more reasons than I can name. Yep, I needed it and actually find it to be as fun as I hoped. I've had serious doubts, though, that I could effectively type more than a few words of prose on, well, a picture of a keyboard. I know, right? Turns out it's easier than texting on my smart phone screen, where the tiny letters and numbers were designed for the fingers of the GEICO Gecko.

We all love the convenience of our writing tools, and this little tablet has the potential of becoming one of my favorites. If you like writing on a good sized screen or are fond of using a mouse, this won't work for you. But, if you get a kick out of doing the same ole thing a different way, write something on a wee tablet and see what you think.
I'm still getting to know my new Kindle and discovering the wonderful things it can do. As far as this blog post goes, I'm going to email it from the My Writing Spot app to myself this time and let my old friend computer take it from there.

 Obviously, I'm easily amused and enthused about writing on this electronic device that's still new to me, especially since it is one that fits in my pocket or purse. How about you? What writing devices charge you up?

2 comments :

Patricia Stoltey said...

When it comes to working on a real manuscript, I still like a computer with a full-sized keyboard. As much as I love my Nook tablet for traveling, it just doesn't work for me as a writing tool.

Jenny said...

Sounds like fun! I'm not sure I'd be able to adapt, though. I'm a real key puncher and don't know if a touch screen would be quite the same.

Share a Post